In this article, you will learn how to create your own personal text reminder service by using a service called Boomerang for Gmail. Alternatively, you could go with a service called Ohdontforget.com.
- A Gmail account
- Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome
- Boomerang for Gmail browser add-on
- Your text address for your mobile phone
Part 1 (Installing Boomerang for Gmail)
First you will want to login to your Gmail account with either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Next launch a new tab and visit Boomeranggmail.com. Click on the install button. When prompted, allow your browser to install the addon and restart.
When it reopens to your email, you’ll see a Boomerang in the top right corner. Click on the icon and you’ll be brought to a page to authorize Boomerang to operate with Gmail. Click allow. On the next page enable all preferences and save.
Part 2 (Retrieve your text address)
Your text address is dependent on your carrier. It will be [your ten digit number + carrier-specific email address]. Some examples appear below but you’ll want to confirm with your service provider.
- T-mobile: email@example.com
- Sprint: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Verizon: email@example.com
- ATT: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MetroPCS: email@example.com
Part 3 (Test and begin using)
Compose a new message. For the “To:” enter your mobile phone text address. Ignore the “Subject:” and then type a short message [no more than 140 characters] and hit Send. Within a few seconds, you should receive the message you just created to your mobile phone!
Now its time to use Boomerang to create “personal reminders” and have them delivered to your phone.
- Compose a new message
- Enter your mobile phone text address
- Type a short reminder
- Instead of hitting “Send” click on “Send Later” and choose a time
Reasons why Boomerang for Gmail rocks
- Integration with your existing email account
- Use service to schedule email delivery to recipients
- Schedule personal text reminders at any time in the future
- Create contact groups and send out reminders to your team
Remember appointments! Send a Happy Birthday message to a friend! “Nudge” yourself to create a blog post!