Hootsuite is a service that allows you to manage all of your social networks under one interface. It works best under the Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari web browsers. There is also an iPhone app as well as an iPad app available. Recently, Hootsuite has replaced the hootlet (bookmarklet) with specific add-ons for individual browsers. However, the hootlet still works just fine.
Adding the Hootsuite hootlet to your browser bookmarks
Installation is relatively simple. First go to this link and copy the code –> hootsuite-hootlet-code. Then create a bookmark, naming it whatever you want such as “Hootsuite” or “Hootlet” and then replace (paste) the current bookmark URL with the code that you just copied and save. That is all!
Setting up the Hootsuite hootlet on your iPad
Although, there is a Hootsuite app for the iPad, installing the Hootsuite hootlet will allow you to share links with your social networks from directly within Safari. Before we begin, do have a quick look at the install steps for Instapaper on the iPad as they are very similar. Lets get started!
- Next, launch this page via Safari on your iPad –> http://wp.me/p1iIjD-99
The remaining steps will be completed via the iPad only but keep this window open on your computer browser so you can continue to follow the steps.
- From the iPad, copy the entire code below (press and hold on the code and then release; then adjust the blue overlay so it covers the entire code, and tap “Copy.”)
- Next, click on the share icon at the top of your Safari page and click “Add Bookmark.” Ensure that it will be saving to the “Bookmarks Bar” and then hit “Save.”
- Now click on the bookmark icon to pull up your bookmarks. Click on the “Bookmarks Bar” folder. Then click “Edit” in the top corner of your window.
- Select the bookmark that you just created. Change the name to something of your choice–perhaps “Hootsuite.” Next delete the URL shown and paste the new code that you copied in step 2 (press and hold, then release, then tap “Paste.” ) Hit “Bookmarks Bar” located in the bottom top left corner to go back. Click “Done” located in the top right corner. Click the bookmark icon to make it disappear.
Good job! You just installed the Hootsuite hootlet on your iPad! To use the hootlet, go to a page that you want to bookmark. Then click on “Hootsuite” or whatever you chose to name the bookmark on your bookmarks bar. It will take you to a page to login in and then allow you to save your bookmark.
A video walkthrough on installing the Hootsuite hootlet on your iPad:
Note: the first time you use the hootlet, it will ask you to login. Be sure you check that option that allows it to remember you login information. Also, at this time, these steps do not work for the iPhone. If you do find a solution, please do share and we’ll create a detailed write-up on how to set it up!
Image source: Hootsuite